The major difference between venturimeter and orificemeter is the Venturimeter is not flexible with the flow rate range while the orifice plate in the orifice meter can easily change for different flow rates.
What is venturimeter:-
- This instrument is used for flow rate measurement consist of converging and diverging section with throat.
- The converging section creates pressure difference between pipe section and the throat which is used to measure the flow rate of liquid.
- The components of venturimeter are:
- Convergent cone: it is the cone with decrease in cross sectional area. After passing through the convergent section the pressure of fluid decreases and kinetic energy of fluid increases.
- Throat: Throat is the middle section between converging and diverging section which has constant cross sectional area.
- Diverging cone: it is the cone with increase in cross sectional area. After passing through the diverging cone the kinetic energy of fluid decreases and pressure increases.
What is orifice meter:-
- An orifice meter is an equipment that is used to measure the flow rate of liquid by using the restriction to the flow known as an orifice plate.
- The basic components of the orifice meter are orifice plate and plate housing.
- It is easy to change the orifice plate for different flowrate range without disconnecting the complete orifice meter from the flow line.
Difference between venturimeter and orifice meter
|Sr. No.||Venturimeter||Orifice meter|
|1||Venturimeter consists of the converging section, throat section, and diverging section.||The orifice meter consists of an orifice plate and plate housing.|
|2||it can be used for slurries.||It is not suitable for slurry.|
|3||It has a lower risk of accuracy disturbance.||The accuracy of the orifice meter is disturbed by corrosion, scaling, erosion, etc.|
|4||Installation is difficult as compared to the orifice meter.||It is easy to install the orifice meter and easy to change the orifice plates.|
|5||lt is permanently fitted for long time operation and for single range.||It is easy to change the orifice plate as per requirement.|
|6||the pressure loss in Venturimeter is 10%.||Pressure loss is around 60%.|
|7||the coefficient of discharge is about 0.98.||The coefficient of discharge is about 0.6.|
|8||it is an expensive instrument as compared to an orifice meter.||The orifice meter is cheap in comparison with Venturimeter.|
|9||It is generally made up of cast iron or steel.||It is made up of stainless steel, nickel phosphor bronze.|
|10||The turn down the ratio of venturimeter is about 10:1.||The turn-down ratio of the orifice meter is below 5:1.|
|11||It is used for flowrate range from 1 to 5.5 ×10^3 m3/hr.||It is used for flow rate range from 10^-3 to (5.5 ×10^3) m^3/hr.|
|12||It is not necessary that the pipe be straight.||The pipe design needs to be straight where the orifice meter is fitted.|
|13||There is no formation of eddies.||It has pressure loss due to the formation of eddies.|
|14||Not flexible for change in flow rate range.||Flexible for a flow rate change.|
FAQ on venturimeter and orifice meter difference:-
What is the main difference between the Venturimeter and orifice meter explain?
The main difference between venturimeter and orifice meter is the Venturimeter is not flexible with the flow rate range while the orifice plate in the orifice meter can easily change for different flow rates.
What is Venturimeter and orifice meter?
Venturimeter:- This instrument is used for flow rate measurement consist of converging and diverging sections with the throat.
Orifice meter:- An orifice meter is equipment that is used to measure the flow rate of liquid by using the restriction to the flow known as an orifice plate.
So, In such a way, we have shared information about the Difference between venturimeter and orifice meter in this article. Comment for queries and share with friends.