The Non traditional or Non conventional machining is the process in which the material removal is done by using thermal, electrical, or chemical power without using sharp cutting tools.
What is Non-Conventional or Non-Traditional Machining process?
Non-traditional machining processes are the advanced machining processes. It includes number of methods such as chemical, laser, water, electric, abrasive powder that are used for machining and there is not any direct contact between cutting tool and work-piece.
These machining process never uses any sharp point cutting tool for material removal as like in conventional or traditional machining process.
Disadvantages of conventional machining process such as less surface finish, more tool wear & machining limitations are the reason behind developing these non-conventional processes.
Types of Non-traditional machining:
Following are some of the non-conventional or non-traditional machining types.
|Ultrasonic machining (USM)
|Water jet machining (WJM)
|Electrical discharge machining (EDM)
|Laser beam machining (LBM)
|Electron beam machining (EBM)
|Chemical machining (CHM)
|Electrochemical machining (ECM)
|Abrasive jet machining (AJM)
The Non-traditional Machining Process has the following advantages:-
- The surface finish obtained is good.
- It can be used for intricate shapes machining.
- It can be used for the brittle material.
- For the small size machining, we can use non-traditional machining.
- Capacity to machining of intricate shapes cavities.
- The tool life is more since there is no problem of the tool wear.
- For producing micro holes. Ex. 0.001 mm.
The Non-traditional Machining Process has the following disadvantages:-
- High capital cost.
- Material removal rate is less.