The Non traditional or Non conventional machining is the process in which the material removal is done by using thermal, electrical, or chemical power without using sharp cutting tools.
What is Non Conventional or Non Traditional Machining process ?
- Non traditional machining process is the advanced machining process, which includes number of methods such as chemical, laser, water, electric, abrasive powder that are used for machining & there is not any direct contact between cutting tool and work-piece.
- This machining process not uses any sharp point cutting tool for material removal as like in conventional or traditional machining process.
- This machining process are developed due to the disadvantages of conventional machining process such as less surface finish, more tool wear & machining limitations.
- Example of Non traditional machining :- Drilling micro size holes with Water jet machining.
Types of Non traditional machining:
The types of the Non Conventional Machining or Non Traditional Machining Process are as follows:-
|Ultrasonic machining (USM)||Water jet machining (WJM)|
|Electrical discharge machining (EDM)||Laser beam machining (EDM)|
|Electron beam machining (EBM)||Chemical machining (CHM)|
|Electrochemical machining (ECM)||Abrasive jet machining (AJM)|
Advantages of Non traditional machining:
The advantages of the Non traditional Machining Process are as follows:-
- The surface finish obtained is good.
- It can be used for intricate shapes machining.
- It can used for the brittle material.
- For the small size machining we can use non traditional machining.
- Capacity to machining of intricate shapes cavities.
- The tool life is more since there is no problem of the tool wear.
- For producing micro holes. Ex. 0.001 mm.
Disadvantages of Non traditional machining:
The disadvantages of the Non traditional Machining Process are as follows:-
- High capital cost.
- Material removal rate is less.