What is rapid prototyping?
Rapid Prototyping is a method of manufacture the physical 3-D product in layers from CAD data files.
Steps in rapid prototyping:-
Steps-1) Create 3-D Cad Model
Steps-2) Convert the CAD file to STL file
Steps-3) Slicing of STL file
Steps-4) Built part in layer by layer
Steps-5) Post-Processing ( Cleaning, Finishing )
Different types of rapid prototyping process:-
- As per use of powder material:-
- a) Selective Laser Sintering (SLS)
- b) Laser powder forming
- c) 3-D Printing
- As per use of liquid material:-
- a) Stereolithography
- b) Polyjet Modeling
- As per use of solid material:-
- a) Fused Deposition Modeling
- b) Laminated Objet Manufacturing
Benefits of rapid prototyping:-
- 1) Reduces loss of material.
- 2) Different shapes part can be made.
Disadvantages of rapid prototyping:-
- For the Precise product, Costly rapid prototyping machines are required.
- Skilled labours are requires to operate the Rapid Prototyping system.