Today We will Discuss about the Types of flames In the Gas Welding. Generally, the Flames are used in Gas Welding.
There are many Gases that used in Gas Welding that is Oxy-Acetylene, Oxy-Hydrogen but Today we will Discuss in Oxy-Acetylene since Oxy-Acetylene gases are Widely & Mainly used in Gas Welding.
So let’s see How these Flames are made & Its Types & How they are Different from Each other by Nature.
As per Oxygen & Acetylene Quantity, There are three types of flames In gas welding.
- NEUTRAL FLAME
- CARBURIZING FLAME
- OXIDIZING FLAME
Types of flames in gas welding:
1) NEUTRAL FLAME:-
1) When the Flame Contains the Acetylene And Oxygen in a Equal Quantity, This Flame is Known as the Neutral Flame.
2) This Flame Consist of the White Colour Inner Cone Has Temperature of Approximately Around 3200 °C & Blue Colour Outer Envelope has a Temperature Between Range of 1200°C to 1300 °C.
3) Due to the Balanced Chemical Reaction & Pure Burning, This Flame Generates Less Smoke & Sparkle.
4) Neutral Flame doesn’t make any reaction on materials during application. 5) Neutral Flame is used on the Following Materials:- Aluminium, Stainless Steel, Mild Steel, Cast Iron.
2) CARBURIZING FLAME:-
1) When The Flame Contains More Acetylene and Less Oxygen, This Flame is Known as Carburizing Flame.
2) This Flame is Also Known as Reducing Flame.
3) Carburizing Flame Consists of the White Colour Inner Cone has Temperature Approximately Around 2900 °C & Red Colour Intermediate Cone (Also known as Acetylene Feather) & Large Blue Colour Outer Envelope has Temperature Between Range of 1600°C to 1800 °C.
4) The Additional Red Colour Intermediate Cone is Produced Due to the More Acetylene Quantity.
5) Due to More Carbon Contains, This Flame Chemically Reacts with Metal and Forms Metal Carbide.
6) Carburizing Flame is used on the Following Materials:- Nickel, Medium Carbon Steel.
3) OXIDIZING FLAME:-
1) When The Flame Contains More Oxygen and Less Acetylene, This Flame is Known as Oxidizing Flame.
2) This Flame Consists of the White Colour Pointed & Small Inner Cone has Temperature Approximately Around 3300 °C & Sharp Blue Colour Outer Envelope Has Temperature Between Range Of 2200°C to 2500 °C.
3) Oxidizing Flame is used on the Following Materials:- Brass.