What is cone clutch?
1] Cone clutch is the type of friction clutch in which the two conical shape components are used for engagement and disengagement.
2] As compared to plate type clutch, In this type clutch flywheel changes to outer cone and pressure plate changes to an inner cone.
Cone clutch diagram:
- Cone clutch works on principle of Friction.
- The outer cone has friction lining on its inner conical surface & Inner cone has friction lining on its outer conical surface.
- Friction between this two cones is cause for the power transmission from the flywheel to the gearbox.
- It is consists of inner cone, Outer Cone, Spring.
- The outer cone has friction lining on its inner conical surface & inner cone has friction lining on its outer conical surface.
- The Outer cone is connected to the input shaft & inner cone is connected to clutch shaft.
- The Inner cone is connected to clutch pedal through a linkage.
Cone clutch working:
The working of the cone clutch in engagement and disengagement of power transmission from engine to the gearbox is as follows:-
In the normal position of clutch, When a vehicle is running, The inner cone is pressed inside the outer cone. Therefore due to the friction occurs between them, Power is transmitted from the input shaft to the clutch shaft, Hence the clutch is in Engage position.
When the driver presses the clutch pedal, The inner cone moves towards the right side against compressing spring (which means the inner cone comes outside from the outer cone), Hence there is no friction between the outer cone & the inner cone. Therefore no power transmission takes place from engine to gearbox. Hence in such a way, Clutch Disengages.
When the Driver releases the clutch pedal, The inner cone again returns towards the left side due to the expansion of the compressed spring. Hence Clutch is again Engages.
Cone clutch advantages:
- It has advantage of higher power transmission capacity as compared to other plate types clutches since more surface area.
- Simple in construction.
Cone clutch disadvantages:
Cone clutch has the disadvantage that if cones have less cone angle then there becomes a difficulty in disengagement.
Application of cone clutch:
Currently, cone clutch is used in the following applications:-
- It is used in speed boats.
- It is used as synchronizer in synchromesh gearbox for clutch engagement.
- It is used in racing cars transmission system.
Where is the cone clutch used?
Cone clutch is used in speed boats, sports cars.
What is the principle of cone clutch?
Cone clutch works on the principle of Friction. Friction between these two cones is responsible for the power (torque) transmission from the flywheel to the gearbox.
What is the advantage of cone clutch?
Cone clutch has the advantage of higher power transmission capacity as compared to other plate types clutches since more surface area.