What is electromagnetic clutch?
1] Electromagnetic Clutch is type of clutch that uses the electromagnetic force for the Engagement and Disengagement of clutch.
2] It is one of the types of automobile clutch which works on the friction principle.
Electromagnetic clutch working principle:-
- Electromagnetic Clutch works on the Electromagnetic Force.
ELECTROMAGNETIC FORCE:- When Conductor carries electric current, magnetic field is forms around the conductor. Hence the Object near the Conductor attracted towards Conductor by Force, which is known as Electromagnetic Force.
- In Electromagnetic Clutch, Engagement and Disengagement Done with the help of Electromagnetic Force
- The Winding use in clutch carries current from battery, Due to Current magnetic field produces around the winding.
- Therefore Due to magnetic field, Pressure Plate moves towards Flywheel & Engage with Flywheel.
Electromagnetic clutch diagram:-
- It consists of Flywheel, Winding, Friction Plate, Battery and Pressure Plate
- The Above figure Shows the Construction Of Electromagnetic Clutch.
1) Flywheel:- The Flywheel is Connected to the Crankshaft of the engine. When Pressure Plate Engage with Flywheel, Power/Torque Transmits from Flywheel to Clutch Shaft.
Winding is Installed on the Flywheel.
When Current Flows through Winding, Pressure Plate Comes in Contact with Flywheel.
2) Friction Plate :- It is Mounted on the Clutch Shaft. Friction Plate has friction Lining on both Side Surface. When Current Flows through Winding, Pressure Plate Press the Friction Plate Against Flywheel.
3) Pressure Plate :- Pressure Plate is Mounted on the Clutch Shaft. When Current Flows through Winding, Pressure Plate Press the Friction Plate Against Flywheel.
Therefore Power/Torque Transmits from Flywheel to Clutch Shaft.
4) Winding :- Winding is Installed on the Flywheel. Winding Carries Current from battery , Due to Current magnetic field produces around the winding.
5) Battery :- Battery supplies the Current to Winding. Clutch Switch is use to On/Off Current Supply to Winding.
In Engage Postion of Clutch, Clutch switch is Off hence Current flows from winding.
In Disengage Postion of Clutch, Clutch switch is On hence Current not flows from winding.
Electromagnetic clutch working :-
When Vehicle is Running, Clutch is in Engaged Position means Pressure Plate is Connected to Flywheel.
When Driver press the Clutch switch/Pedal , the Current stops flowing from battery to winding. Due to no Current in Winding, no magnetic field Produces around the winding.
Hence Pressure Plate Releases from Flywheel. Therefore no power Transmits From Flywheel to Pressure Plate. hence Clutch Disengages.
ENGAGEMENT:- When Driver Release the Clutch Switch, Current Again starts flowing from battery to Winding.
Hence the Magnetic field again Produces around the winding. Hence Pressure Plate Attracta towards Flywheel. Hence Clutch Engages.