What is regenerative braking system?
A regenerative Braking System is a braking system That generates electrical energy during braking action and that generated energy is used to run the vehicle by means of charging the battery and run the Motor.
Regenerative braking system working principle:-
It works on the ”Law of Conservation of Energy”.
The law of conservation of Energy states that :- Energy can neither be created nor be destroyed, It can only converted from one form of energy to another form.
In Regenerative Braking System :- When Vehicle is Running :- Electrical Energy (Battery) is Converts into Kinetic Energy (Wheel Rotation) By Motor.
When Brake Apply:- Kinetic Energy (Wheel Rotation) is Converts into Electrical Energy (Battery Charging) by Motor ( Works as Generator in Opposite Direction).
Regenerative braking system diagram:-
It is Consists of the following components:-
- 1) Electric Motor / Generator
- 2) Battery
- 3) Motor Controller
1) MOTOR / GENERATOR :-
Motor Performs the two functions. It works as a Motor when the Vehicle runs on the Electric Energy from the Battery and Works as Generator When the brake is applied & starts Charge Battery.
The battery supplies the Electric Energy to the Motor to Run Vehicle. It gets Charged by the generator When Brake is applied.
3) MOTOR CONTROLLER:-
When Vehicle is Running, the controller supplies the Electrical Energy from Battery to the Motor. When Driver presses the brake pedal, the controller stops the Electric Energy supply to the Motor & Starts charging from Generator to Battery.
Working of regenerative braking system:-
1) When Vehicle is starts, Controller supplies the Electrical Energy from Battery to the Motor.
2) Therefore, Motor starts Rotating, Means it Converting the Electrical Energy into the Mechanical Energy.
3) Due to Motor Rotating , Vehicle wheels also Starts Rotating with Motor.
WHEN BRAKE APPLY :-
1) When Driver apply the Brake, Controller Disconnects the Electrical Energy supply to the Motor.
2) Now, Wheels have motion. Due to this Kinetic Energy of Wheels, Motor also Rotating with wheels.
3) Therefore Motor works as Generator and produces the Electrical Energy.
4) Controller Recieves This Electrical Energy From Generator & Supplies to the Motor. Hence Battery Changing Starts.
5) When Motor Rotates due to kinetic Energy of Wheels , Motor produces Back Electromotive Force which helps is Stop wheel rotation.
Application of regenerative braking system:-
The regenerative braking system has following applications:-
- Electric Car