What is Chemical Machining (CHM)?
1] Chemical machining is machining process in which machining carry out with the help of chemicals. This chemicals reacts with work-piece material and dissolves it.
2] It is one of the non conventional machining process.
Chemical Machining Diagram:-
Chemical Machining consists of the chemical, stirrer, Cooling & Heating coil.
1) Chemical :- The chemical uses is also called as the etchant. This chemical helps in remove the material from the work-piece by chemically reacting with desired portion of work-piece material & dissolve it. Different types of etchants uses as per the work-piece material.
2) Cooling & Heating Coil :- The Cooling & Heating coil is used to maintain desired temperature of the chemical or etchant during the process.
3) Stirrer :- The stirrer helps in the mixing of the chemical or etchant.
Chemical Machining Working:-
The chemical machining works in following processes or steps :-
1) Cleaning :- In the cleaning the work-piece is cleaned using solvent to removes the dust, oil contaminants from the work-piece otherwise further process that is masking will not done properly due to dust or oil contaminants.
2) Masking :- Masking is process of applying the maskant or cover on the cleaned work-piece surface which prevents the inside desired portion of work-piece surface from being dissolve. This maskant or cover is does not reacts with chemical or etchant.
3) Scribing :- In this process, the maskant are removes from the portions of work-piece surfaces which are to be machined. This process dones before the work-piece immersed in the chemical or etchant.
4) Etching :- In this process, the workpiece immersed in the chemical or etchant, hence chemical reacts with the work-piece surface where maskant is not present & dissolves this portion of the work-piece.
5) De-masking :- After the etching in demasking, the remaining applied maskant is removes.
Therefore in such way chemical machining works.
Video of CHM by Veco Precision:-
Chemical Machining Advantages:-
- It produces High precision metal parts.
- It can done Machining of any shape & size.
- Machining of work-piece from all sides of work-piece at same time.
- Less skilled labors can handle process.
- High surface finish obtained.
- High machining accuracy.
Chemical Machining Disadvantages:-
- Chemical solution uses which is dangerous for human health.
- 2) It is slow process.
Chemical Machining Applications:-
- In drilling different sizes holes on plates.
- In machining of various automobiles parts.
- Video by Veco Precision